Getting Acquainted

My photo
school, Maryland, United States
I roll with the punches, have a sense of adventure, enjoy learning & like sharing knowledge with people and help them when ever possible. Writing & reading are my passions. APBT service dog, Bella, is my helper and companion. http://www.Writing.Com/main/portfolio/ view/vpbanjo?rfrid=vpbanjo

Friday, November 19, 2010

The Art Of Disability

This class has been quite a challenge.  I've been stretched and molder, given much knowledge, thought outside the box to figure out how to get things created properly, and enjoyed every moment.  Well, not every moment.  There were times when I had to redo something because it wasn't going to work or because it was so messed up there was no fixing it, and/or because my computer ate my home work.


To accomplish creating the assignments I have made the font and everything possible on my computer very, very large, {about 36p size,} and spend nearly an entire day if necessary working on getting my work correct.  I didn't do this every day just when absolutely necessary.  Another challenge is managing to sit in front of the computer for hours and hours each day.   Fortunately I have a power wheelchair which changes positions electronically which helps I have hearing loss, which doesn't inter fear directly with my art work, however, when listening to instructions or other information for this class, I sometimes miss something said or do not understand a word here and there.very much.


I guess this qualifies me as a disABLED artist.  I was curious about what I would find if I search "disability art", so I did a search and this is one of the sites I found and some information.
****************************

Frida Kahlo, one of the earliest painters of disability experience, mastered the self portrait. Her paintings are an intimate look at herself; her physical pain and turmoil as a result of numerous accidents and illnesses.
________________________________________________


 Recognized for his oversized portraits,Chuck Close uses a mechanical device to move and rotate his paintings. His unique brush, supported by a hand brace, applies paint in circular, abstract shapes.
 ________________________________________________

Michael Naranjo was totally blinded as a result of an injury he sustained from a grenade explosion in January, 1968 during combat in the Vietnam War. He has curated a touchable exhibition of his works to change the ways in which people, including those with visual disabilities, experience art. He believes that blindness, long perceived as the inability to appreciate visual artforms, should not prevent individuals from having an aesthetic experience. ======================================
The url for this site is:
http://www.vsarts.org/prebuilt/showcase/gallery/exhibits/disability/ 


It is worth the time to visit the site and take a look at the art and information because it may inspire you and offer knowledge which would help you continue your art adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment